Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1stdibs Picks of the Week!


So, before the rug was pulled out from underneath me, I actually had a job. It was the best job in the whole wide world. Really, it was. I had the luxury of working at 1stdibs. What’s that you ask? Only the greatest place on earth. Officially their tagline is: The Most Beautiful Things on Earth. 1stdibs is the world’s largest online luxury marketplace. Inspired by Founder Michael Bruno’s love of Paris’ legendary flea markets, it is the go-to source for leading interior designers and in-the-know wealthy consumers seeking antiques, design, estate jewelry, vintage fashion and fine art.

Does it get better than that? I think not. I stalked the founder, Michael Bruno, for about three years until he gave me a job at the headquarters in New York. When he told me I could work there, I think I literally levitated. I walked into the offices the first day with the biggest goofiest grin on my face. I was in the nucleus of everything that I loved. My unofficial job was to archive furniture from the 1stdibs website and relate it to interior design magazine, Elle Decor. Basically, I got to read back issues of Elle Decor all day and say, “Oh, we have that.”

Here’s the funny thing… Exactly 2 weeks into working at my dream job at 1stdibs, I was diagnosed with ALS. One day, during lunch, I told Michael Bruno that I would be back later because I had to make a quick stop at the neurologist office. Little did I know what was ahead of me that day. I never got to go back to 1stdibsEver. Honestly, I was more upset that I didn’t get to go back to work at 1stdibs than I was at having ALS.
                                                                            Michael Bruno
1stdibs Founder
 After having to tell Michael the devastating news, he, the greatest boss on earth, told me that I would always have a home at 1stdibs. He told me that if I wanted to work remotely from home I could. I sadly declined because I knew I had to deal with what was happening. I kind of crawled into an ALS rabbit hole and put my love of furniture, interior design and antiques on the back burner. The way back burner. I didn’t even open an interior design magazine for about 2 ½ years. Not one! I didn’t go to a flea market, an antique store, a designer showcase house…. Nothing. I could barely bring myself to watch Million-Dollar Decorator for God’s sake.

 Fast-forward three years. Last November, I passed the three-year mark with ALS. The majority of people with ALS die within 3 to 5 years. Here I was passing the three-year mark and something changed in me. I thought, “Well, f*ck, if I’m not going to die yet I might as well look at furniture.” So here we are today. Ellie can look at furniture again! In honor of this milestone, I thought I would share with you my 1stdibs Picks of the Week! Here we go…

Rare Eames 670 Lounge Chair
$5500

                                               Joseph Andre Motte Lounge Chairs, circa 1950
$3200
 
                                          Black and White Abstract Painting Enera by Myke Reilly
$4000
 
                                                                            Large-scale Bust
price upon request
 
                                                         Pair of Chinese Blue and White Vases
$2600
 

                                                           19th century English Chinoiserie Chest
$8650
 
                                                               Si vous croyez…Line Vautrin Box
$5500
 

                                                                  Florian Schulz “Posa” Pendant
$3100
 

                                                      Vintage Oscar de la Renta Leopard Print Hat
$225
 
                                                Antique Louis Vuitton Coffee Table. Paris, circa 1907
$7200
 

                                                      Carlo Bugatti Throne Chair, Milano, circa 1898
$22,500
 

                                                        Peter Beard. Loliondo, Lion Charge, 1964
$28,000
 
                                                             Coffee table by Valentin Loellmann
$47,000


                                        Sterling Silver Apple With Concealed Lighter by Buccellati
$1500
 

                                     Sheep In the Manner of Claude and Francois– Xavier Lalanne
$5550
 
                                                  Ebonized Chest of Drawers by Tommy Parzinger
price upon request
 

                                                                         Jaguar XJ 4.2 Coupe
$39,000
 
                                              Free Form Coffee Table in brass by Karl Springer
$35,000
 

Mexican Caftan 1960s
$750
VoilĂ ! 

1 comment:

  1. Well now that was some fun virtual shopping...I choose...the bust. I know! Booooring but come on...a sight for sore eyes... ;)

    ReplyDelete