Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

WTF?


 
I have thought long and hard about this. It’s everyone’s fault. It’s Architectural Digest’s fault, its interior designer’s fault, it’s the client’s fault and to some extent… It’s our fault. The whole world of interior design in the US has just all gone to hell in a handbag.
Let’s start with blaming Architectural Digest. Do you remember the days when you would receive your issue of Architectural Digest and devour every page, every house, every detail? I do. My mom and I would sit down and go through every single page and point at everything and discuss it all. I was faster… I just wanted the overall concept. My mother was slower… Carefully dissecting every detail. She would say to me, “Don’t turn the page so fast, look at the scale of the room. Do you see how that works? Look at the height of the drapery, look at the vignettes… Items look best grouped in odd numbers...Except for pairs, of course. A mirror must reflect something beautiful. Flowers are important in design. Start a room with a good rug and build from there. Blend antique with modern. A room needs to have layers.” Never ever did I ever hear my mother say, “Color coordinate your closet.” And with this, interior design went downhill.
When did we all decide that one’s home should look like a hotel? What happened to the details? What happened to the soul of a house? I’ll tell you what happened, Architectural Digest ripped it away. These days, every home in AD looks like a fucking Fairmont Hotel suite. Pardon my French but I am a bit “fed up” these days. Sadly, AD is in cahoots with the interior designers. It seems like today’s modus operandi amongst interior designers is that their sole mission and ulterior motive is just to have a house published. And in doing so, that house has got to be “Faaaaaaaabulous.” Am I the only one who thinks that Kelly Wearstler has lost her mind lately? Easy girl, easy. Not everything has to be unusual. Martin Lawrence Bullard? Someone should revoke his interior design license temporarily until he realizes that not everyone’s house should look like that of a flaming queen. And when did we all decide that houses should have a theme… Tuscan Villa, Balinese palapa, California midcentury modern, Spanish revival. Shouldn’t a house just be what it is without forcing it? Because of this current trend in AD, this translates to the homes looking like spec houses with too much money. Money is where the client’s fault lies. Nouveau riche clients who don’t have the time, knowledge or wherewithal to decorate their own homes. My other gripe with clients is that they hire a decorator but want to have their two cents heard. My advice to a client?  “Shut up.” This whole combination between shelter magazines, decorators and clients just turns into a big fuck fest. Again, pardon my French.
Don’t think that Architectural Digest is the only culprit…Elle Decor plays its part as well. The difference is that Elle Decor appreciates “individuality.” Just bad individuality. Not everything has to have a fucking “pop of color.” The problem is also that people turn to the shelter magazines for inspiration and what you are looking at is 50% good and 50% bad and to the untrained eye… It might be difficult to perceive the difference. Therefore, you might think that everything looks good… But it doesn’t.
Veranda magazine? Not quite as bad but it just looks like every home is too perfect and we all know that life is imperfect and guess what? I want to see that. Show me a little mess. Veranda magazine will lead you to believe that life is about country clubs, monogrammed everything and your sorority friends. Gross. Although, I admit, I do like a good country club for a turkey club sandwich and Arnold Palmer iced tea.
This whole lethal combination would not be possible without… Us, the reader. Why do we keep reading this shit? Why doesn’t someone say something? Why are we being subconsciously influenced by what is put in front of us? Like lambs being led to slaughter, I say. There needs to be some sort of hostile takeover to stop the carnage. Interior design carnage. If you would like, I shall be your leader. I have nothing to lose. Even if I die in the war, it will all be worth it if we can just bring back tables filled with family photos in beautiful antique mismatched frames. In case you have forgotten what good design is, refresh your memory with the book, The Finest Houses of Paris. My mother and I refer to it as, “The Bible.”
 


 
Okay, as they say, the proof is in the pudding… So let’s take a look.
Let’s start with the March issue of Architectural Digest with the Kardashian feature story. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Kardashians. I love everything about them except for the fact that they cannot decorate. It’s not their fault, they were raised in Calabasas. Rule number one of getting rich: Move. Move somewhere better. I probably have passed Calabasas, the hometown of the Kardashians, at least 400 billion times and never have I once ventured off the freeway to even get gas there let alone buy a home there. I did get off the freeway twice a few miles down the road in Encino to my best (male) friend’s (Randy Jackson) family house and that was only because I wanted to see his brother Michael. Yes, that Jackson family. Who wouldn’t? The only good news is that our beloved Kim Kardashian whose constant ugly cries I appreciate had the good sense to hire Axel Vervoordt to design her Calabasas house but I have a feeling that hiring the brilliant Vervoordt might be more Kayne’s idea.
Let’s start with Kourtney’s house. Beside the fact that it looks uncomfortable and you would be shot if you actually relaxed there, it all just looks staged. But bless her heart, she’s got enough on her plate raising three children on her own wondering if her baby daddy is dead or alive every day. However, I will say that I give her props for trying. Kourtney actually did her homework and has invested in some good piece. Let’s take a look…
Reminiscent of the good old days of AD… This room actually works. Christian Liagre sofas (how did Kourtney know about Christian Liagre?), vintage Oscar Niemeyer chair, fantastic consoles and a Richard Serra triptych above the fireplace. The lamps are brilliant because my friend, Diandra Douglas, has them. Not in love with the rug because it mirrors the squares of the console and it just makes the room look busy. All in all, a good room though. Well played, Kourtney. But still, nothing to write home about.
 


These are the same lamps just in a better setting at my friend Diandra's house. Yes, that is a Paul Evans console. By the way, this is how to decorate.
 

I am kind of okay with this entry. Love the table and the brutalist vase but everything including the outdoor furniture just looks hard hard hard. I feel like I’m going to crack my head open everywhere in her house.
 


 
Not exactly a cozy kitchen and if I see those barstools one more time in a magazine,  I’m going to puke. And that fruit bowl? It’s Kelly Wearstler’s which proves my point that Kelly has officially gone crazy. Looks like a kitchen to eat takeout with disposable utensils but not actually cook anything.
 


 
Kourtney’s dining room has all the elements to work but it just doesn’t. Yes, Mansour Modern carpet, yes José Esteves chandelier, yes Lichtenstein artwork, yes vintage Pierre Jeannert chairs… But it just doesn’t flow and that horrible sculpture isn’t helping. I do like the curtains but do you really want to dine here?
 


 
Okay, the bedroom. I like it 80%. Bed great. Vintage Jean-Michel Frank lounge chairs, great. 1970s Belgian cocktail table, great. Bedside table lamps, great. Finally, a cozy rug, great. Hate the artwork above the bed.
 


 
So all in all, I will give Kourtney’s house a C+. But things get worse when we go over to her sister’s house. Khloé, whom I adore personality-wise, just hasn’t got a clue when it comes to decorating. She has relied too heavily on her decorator, Martin Lawrence Bullard. Black-and-white Moroccan does not a house make especially when it is new Moroccan. It’s all just so “Los Angeles.”
 


 
I honestly just don’t know what to say about her tented living room other than, “What the fuck?” It is so bad on so many levels… I just can’t. All I can think of is: fire hazard.
 


 
Khloé kitchen with her signature design of “cookies psychotically arranged in glass jars” is what started this whole mess. Once again, I don’t think there is any actual cooking going on in this kitchen. However, I like the chandelier. But who would openly admit that they have Caesarstone countertops?
 


 
Khloé's pantry… Did Architectural Digest just honestly waste two pages of pictures of her pantry? Are we supposed to be impressed that she can organize and label? Did she learn that at college? No one’s pantry is supposed to be this organized. Life isn’t like this. And there's not enough food!
 


 
I have to admit that I like the screening room except for the stupid artwork.
 


 
Now we come to the pièce de résistance, Khloé's crown glory of her career, her life’s work… Her closet. I have never been so embarrassed for anyone in my entire life. To stand and be photographed inside one’s closet implying, “Look, I’ve made it. Look at all my shoes. Look at my purses.” Architectural Digest should be financially punished for this shot.
 


 
I can only imagine the conversation between Khloé and her decorator, Martin Lawrence Bullard with this courtyard. It probably went something like this… “Chloe Darling, let’s put a giant mirror on the wall of your courtyard that reflects nothing.”
 


 
Now let’s venture over to the March issue of Elle Decor to be equally as appalled. Someone has got to be blamed for allowing Marissa Tomei’s living room to be on the cover let alone her whole house being featured? Mr. Editor, I shall blame you.
What part of this living room works? None of it. None of it even remotely works. Not that stupid African fabric sofa, not that stupid pink chair and certainly not those teal and yellow pillows on the floor! And those walls sconces are too far apart..
 


 
Once again, I am at a loss for words regarding this room. This is Elle Decor’s main problem… allowing rooms like this to be featured. This isn’t clever. This isn’t stylish. This is simply horrible and it should be ignited.
 


 
I can’t even turn another page of this magazine.
Veranda? You are up next…
 


 
See what I mean? It’s nice but it just doesn’t have any real character. I like it but if I grew up here, I would probably rebel, do drugs and disappoint my parents. They, of course, would hide me at a rehab somewhere until I came to my senses and appreciated the wonderful life that they gave me.
Do you see what I’m talking about? It’s really just not worth it to read any of these magazines anymore. I dream of the day that they bring back American Vogue Living magazine with Hamish Bowles as editor. But for now, my only true inspiration comes from World of Interiors, British House & Garden, Santa Barbara Magazine and Vogue Living Australia. And Pinterest. But let’s end this blog on a good note and look at some interiors from the “make my heart swoon and restore my faith in humanity” book, The Finest Houses of Paris.
 

 
 
 
 
 


 

112 comments:

  1. I've been waiting 2 days for this! I love it when your angry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the phrase "You're beautiful when you're angry" was made for this post. ;)

      Delete
    2. am laughing so much at your commentary!

      I have the Finest Houses in Paris on my bed side table and I like to read it to settle my nerves.

      x

      Delete
  2. Oddly enough, I loved Elle Decor when Margaret Russel was at the helm and I looked forward to her tenure at AD... I just don't know what happened..I lost two magazines that I once really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same - I subscribed to AD when she became editor. And have been disappointed ever since...

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this post. I subscribe to several of the above-named magazines and for quite sometime I have not seen any room that looked real or comfortable. Now that you have made your pronouncements, I am going to cancel my subscriptions and turn in another direction. I love a room that invites you to enter, snuggle up with a good book in hand and have a cup of tea. Most of the rooms pictured above shout "doctor's office." You are so very clever and have such an amazing eye for beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are not allowed Caesarstone countertops? I have a feeling you're going to say we're allowed marble or tiles. Amiright? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hilarious! And on point! Like a lemming I continue to buy AG and Veranda and then wonder why I'm left unfulfilled and disappointed. Now I know! When AG arrived and it featured the K family, I groaned. Once Anna Wintour opened the door, all other respectable publications fell into line. Groan. I know you love the K's and I'm sure they're nice people, BUT do we really wish to hold them up as style icons. Hmmm ... I think not. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo!!! Awesome blogpost! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nailed it - all cold & uninspiring- YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I just say, Ellie, that you have captured my thoughts EXACTLY...and no doubt expressed them much better (i.e. like that 'Glee' episode where the adorable Down's Syndrome actress is walking down the school hall and you hear her thoughts but it's actually Helen Mirren speaking). I seriously almost died on the spot when got my Elle Décor issue and saw Marissa Tomei's sofa, let alone the rest of her apartment! Early American Hollywood Craig's List.

    XOXO, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well bloody said !!!!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree with you more! Used to ADORE AD! Not anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with every word; except you like more than I do!!! Lots more!!! You are nicer!!! There is a good article about Elsie de Wolfe in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well stated. AD is all about "lavish" artwork and who the fancy decorator is. It is AD for god's sake, we want to see architecture from talented, educated professionals! Jeez!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As anonymous above described...well bloody said...may I add...hilarious. Two years ago I cancelled my Town & Country for similar reasons along with subscriptions to various other magazines. My current subscriptions are to Santa Barbara, France, English Home, Victoria and the very new and only one issue...Evoke (fabulous). All homes/rooms and gardens featured are well used and well lived in. Not everything is perfectly aligned and a match to something else. I have yet to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Evoke looks just like Ellie's taste.

      https://evokemagazine.com/

      Delete
  14. OFF TO BUY THE BIBLE!
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON SO MANY LEVELS.............did you notice what kind of FOOD was in that PANTRY??!!!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food, Contessa? Did you see any food?

      Delete
    2. It's all cereal and candy. And cookies arranged by some poor p.a. in glass jars. It's all about how it looks and not about actual food. I think they all eat out all the time and get take-out.
      Sheila

      Delete
    3. CEREAL,CANDY.........and FROSTING IN A CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
      IS that BOTTOM SHELF full of NUTS in the plastic wear................??MAYBE To put on top of the cake from a box and the frosting in a can.
      YIKES.................NO WONDER The BODIES have CURVES.

      Delete
    4. This is so funny! I looked at that photo and thought "wow, that's a lot so stuff!" Neither of you better look in what passes for a pantry in my kitchen! Two little kitchen cabinets, almost completely empty. And we cook a LOT! That's what living in NYC does to you....the local grocery store is my pantry, I guess.

      Delete
    5. Well, in their defense, you can only put "dry goods", canned goods and flower vases in a pantry. All the healthier things (fruits, veggies and proteins) would be somewhere cold like a fridge or a freezer. However, you can bet they got paid for product placement - Crisco, Aunt Jemmima Syrup, Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines Cake mixes.

      What DOES surprise me is that the pantry looks like the materials were bought at Home Depot. Surely she can afford something nicer than melamine coated particle board?

      Delete
  15. I love this!! I'm truly reconsidering my line if work because it's not how it used to be and with Pinterest etc everyone thinks they are a decorator ! XO Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally agree! But coming from a country where Donald Trump is apparently a the likely Republican nominee for president, are we surpised. I'm a yellow dog Democrat, but I bet my Republican grandfathers are spinning in their graves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh..don't like their homes at all but thats ok,I couldn't afford any of it anyway...fun fact, my brother designed Kim's backyard b.k. before Kanye.. I didn't want it to be true but he said she was nice...sigh...take a look at his work...www.leekartis.com as always thank god for you..xx JEANNIE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hugely funny! We have an editor in Oz who destroyed one magazine for me by his obsession with minimalist modern and has now moved on to do the same with another.
    Don't really know much about the Kardashians and don't care to but interesting to see how they've relied on well-known decorators. Wouldn't even attempt to critique these photos except for a couple of points.
    First of all your friend Diandra's house feels like a real home, warm, beautiful but accessible and lived-in. Most of the others you've featured just look like designer show houses. Hard to imagine a family living there. As a guest one would feel worried about sitting on those (probably uncomfortable) chairs, sipping a glass of red or a cup of coffee.
    Secondly, just one out of many comments possible on the first pic of Kourtney's pad: two many squares, too geometric - and if she wanted a great modern abstract above the fireplace, how about a Rothko or even better a Gerhard Richter (and not in black and white) - or don't even the Kardashians run to that kind of money?
    Thirdly, I think Martin Bullard created a balance of dark and light, pattern and plain that works really well in that first pic of his work. There is a kind of harmony in the Spanish Moorish modern mix that evokes a feeling of depth and well being - and the picture above the fireplace works perfectly in this room. But of course I don't know LA houses - and you seem to be suggesting that this is a California cliche. Personally, while not normally a fan of just black and white decorating, I really like it.
    So glad you've been able to take time away from your book to delight us with this post.
    Best wishes, Pammie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh god love this so much, so funny I was looking at that dining room in Veranda last week and it made me want to drink red wine, smoke cigarettes and wear all black clothing, perhaps torn and frayed.
    But everything here, you're spot on, hilarious but also an education in design. XO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Couldn't agree with you more Ellie.... I would not feel at "home" in either Khloe's or Kourtney's houses. I know you've been busy with your book and dealing with ALS on a daily basis has to be hard but I so look forward to spring and a fresh look at your house in Provence. I'm sure there are changes which have or will be taking place as comforts of home are so important to you and understandably so...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still subscribe BC of partly FOMO and hoping to be inspired. Try cabana magazine before it gets bought by Conde Nast. It's not easy to buy and they sell like its the 1990's but i think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are SO right (again) I loved this post…you really make me laugh my head off…hahaha Suz

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I just subscribed to Evoke! It looks fantastic!
    Going to look at Cabana before Conde Nast! What great readers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When you compare the hideousness you've shown us here to Helen Anstruther's cottage from the other day you realize there should be a law against bad, soulless decorating. Thanks for all the work you put into this post....it's great to giggle over things like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Agree Agree Agree
    Tired of it all...
    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous, darling. MLB does not have taste. Thanks. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhhh, a breath of fresh air you are. I hope someone from AD and every KKKKKardashian read your commentary. I enjoy reading your insights, esp. the details. Not having your level of expertise, you help make clear what works/doesn't work. Thank you. I agree, now that you mention it -- Ms. Wearstler has lost it -- either her game got too big, or too many of the wrong people (kids, I guess) working for her. I think she could make a good comeback if she fires everyone and works alone from the beach, or hires you to work for her remotely. ;-/ I have zero budget unlike these Kardashians, so I put together what I can from here and there, but dream of the day I could have just one vintage Pierre Jeannert chair to move around to different spaces, admire it from every angle, find where it feels right. When you can have as many as you want, I wonder if it's any fun?
    p.s. I agree with couldawouldashoulda - try Cabana

    ReplyDelete
  28. In absolute total agreement! Although Veranda towers above the others in my opinion. I hope you have a copy of "One Man's Folly" - Furlow Gatewood's book. It is my deign bible - his houses are even better in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Replies
    1. Yes, Yes, YES! That was such a wonderful magazine! Such charm and grace in every room. Made me want to leave sunny California for the South no matter how hot and humid the summers are! However, hubby vetoed that. Sigh...

      Delete
  30. Ellie - you should be EIC of them all! I thought it was just me and that I had somehow missed something. Don't me started on the 20 and 30 somethings that decorate with macrame and spider plants (see any blog/Instagram of this age group. There are a few who get it but not many) Love your point of view and honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are 20 and 30 somethings STILL doing that?

      Delete
  31. OMG!! You are SO funny!! I'm still laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Totally agree! Who wants to look at a pantry???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself a cook and I LOVE to look at pantries. Real cooks pantries, not pantries decorated for show with no real food like this one.
      Sheila

      Delete
  33. Funny and spot on and I don't need to pardon your french because it isn't!! I stopped looking at all of these mags long ago because they seem to be showcases for the bad taste of the newly rich. If someone will make me newly rich I promise to have good taste. The interiors of the ones who are trying to look eclectic just look like they took the furniture their friends didn't want when they moved. And the pantry? I commented above to Contessa, food, what food? Khloe (kind of ghetto spelling, what?) seems so obsessed with her shoes she forgot her blouse. Not to mention the kitchens as clinics ....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I needed that! I thought I was in the Twilight Zone.

    ReplyDelete
  35. About the pantry. I doubt it is ever used, or she has someone come through everyday and straighten everything up. I live in a house with 3 men and believe you me my pantry doesn't look anything like that. I follow several bloggers who I have come to realize that you could interchange any of their rooms with the others and never realize you had changed them. What has happened to color? I'm not seeing much of it in any of their homes. I started feeling like there is something wrong with me because I love color, comfort and things that have meaning to me. I guess I don't need to worry because my HOME will never end up in AD or any of the other design magazines so all is good. Loved to watch you kick butt though! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for mentioning the lack of family photos. I have often wondered why they are such a taboo in today's home style? I am not staging my house to sell, I am living in it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your blog Ellie, you are so right, and so funny, it is all very ug!!! Muffie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Was not familiar with The Finest Houses of Paris, but that's my style and I'm sticking to it. I just thought I was out of date. I must purchase a copy for the rare occasion when I feel the need to validate my choices!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you, I am a very late bloomer so I appreciate your guidance on what works and what doesn't. I think it is partly the HARSH SoCal sun that has blinded people-HA! The Finest Homes of Paris has burnished light-so pleasing.
    Love your spirit, yes, please be our leader back to good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What comes to mind is an interview I read a number of years ago with Albert Hadley for NY magazine. He said about interior design "Glamour is part of it, but glamour is not the essence. Design is about discipline and reality, not about fantasy beyond reality." He goes on to make a number of addition points that are right in line with your blog posting. Check it out if you have a chance as I think you'd appreciate it. http://nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/homedesign/features/n_10144/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Do you remember Chaucer's Bookstore in Santa Barbara? I walked in and saw issue of AD with the Kardashian's on the cover - and ALMOST fainted from shock! Are you kidding me??? (Of course, I had to flip through it to see the carnage, but I refused to pay a cent for it.)
    So, I have had this chronic headache condition for the past 6 years. On bad days, my brain has to rest. So, I watch mindless junk - Kardashians, Real Housewives, etc.. It is sad - but true. Still, I don't think the K's belong in Vogue or AD. Then, on "good" days (it's all relative), I read YOU!!! I am so happy you're back. I cannot wait for the BOOK! When???
    Best,
    Michelle from Santa Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sadly people with money often have no taste and those with taste not enough money. When AD published John Travolta's house with the jet in his backyard I cancelled my subscription. Not my idea of a view. As always your comments were right on with regards to the shelter magazines. The pantry shot was telling of what was consumed in that household and I love the thought of Kourtney retrieving a dropped stud earring in that carpet in her closet.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was looking forward to this post and it did not disappoint. I am a designer in LA and had a first meeting with a new client last night and when I asked them about what they envisioned they had three images 1) They have just been upgraded to the most glamorous hotel suite 2) Kardashian style and 3) Villa Blanca (the Beverly Hills restaurant belonging to the Vanderpumps). These are nice people. They are not bad people, but they want their new house to be "done" and they want it to say something about them - that they are successful, sophisticated and live a glamorous life. And it makes me so sad. Mostly that they didn't bring anything from their old home, they don't want anything old/antique, they don't like clutter (i.e. - nothing on the dresser) and they are not willing to wait for their home decor to evolve over time. They are completely dazzled by what they see on reality TV and they don't have the background to discern good taste. Ellie - you grew up in a family with a legacy of good taste and appreciation for fine things - most people, even people of great means, sadly do not. My favorite example of this is the Instagram feed called @the_real_houses_of_ig - It is a wildly popular feed that represents zero taste and exactly where we are headed in the US - spec house heaven! But I will take the job and help them add a little style to their furniture showroom/house. God love the Europeans and Australians who embrace the unique, the slightly crumbly and the deeply personal - the opposite of perfection. Keep spreading the gospel of good design Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my house is devoted to the Slighty Crumbly and the Deeply Personal. Is it because I am Australian? I cannot think of anything weirder than asking to live in a hotel suite.

      I am LUFFING SICK the comments on this post.

      Delete
    2. These are the best comments ever on any blog post by anyone!
      Stacy, I feel for you. I see it all the time. I try so hard to get my clients to want "collected" and meaningful interiors. The best are lawyers. I don't know why. If they like what you have done; they let you do it!! Honestly, in 44 years decorating 85% of my clients have been and are lawyers!!!!
      My own house, as Ellie knows, is deeply crumbly and intensely personal.

      Delete
  44. Thank you for your insightful analysis of what went wrong with shelter magazines. I couldn't figure out why they haven't been doing it for me anymore. I thought it was me? I've lost my imagination? I'm old? Tired? I used to read these mags obsessively to get that charge of excitement and thrill of possibility. Was it just because the houses they featured were full of things? I don't know. This morning on my walk into work, I remembered seeing 25 years ago a photo of some house where the person had combined gold and red and lime green (Don't judge). I don't even remember the specifics of what I was looking at but I spray painted my old wicker settee gold and covered the cushion in cheap red cotton and sewed up a bunch of pillows in red and lime green velvet with tassels and I loved it. I have a House Beautiful from the late 1980s and I'd still love to live in those rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ah, Ellie, after you finish your current book, you should write one on interior design. Write it the way you write your blog - with total honesty and lots of humor! I would buy that one too in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever happened to the "beauty of disarray?" No one willing to wait for
      the patina of life and cherishing...

      AD, etc. - obscene
      Finest Houses of Paris - touche

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love HH's phrase the "beauty of disarray". My gold standard is Oscar de la Renta's "books on the table" style. The sterility of the homes today matches the souls of those who own it.

      Delete
  46. OH MY GOD! That was SOOO wonderful I almost feel like doing all caps and lots of exclamation points like that one lady who comments. I plan on reading it over again, it was perfectly wonderful, spot on, and really just a delight!
    Thank you.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Elizabeth! She is the best!!!
      I am printing this blogpost out and handing it to all prospective clients!!!

      Delete
  47. That horrible living room with the African or whatever fabric it is...jeeesh. It looks like every frat house furnished with stuff picked up off the curb and mom's garage where grandma's old junk is stored.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmm .... Grandma's old junk looked infinitely better ......

      Delete
  48. Everything looks like it just arrived this morning from the store. Which it did, as every piece gets acknowledged in the credits at the back of the mag so that people can go buy it. Then these manufacturers can kick-back to the mag in the form of advertising. It's all about the benjamins; good taste and family history/passed down items/sentimental stuff does not fit into that equation.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have some very old Traditional Home magazines that are so wonderful.
    I was going to do a clear-out, but I'm scared to do it now.
    I may never see such wonderfulness again.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  50. I also stopped reading AD and T&C years ago, and initially thought you were featuring photos from a real estate brochure -- "Dynasty" for the 21st century. WTF indeed. Thank you for explaining as my brain could not compute what it was seeing. Could not get past the adjustable shelf holes in the pantry cabinetry. Is she really going to be adjusting shelving to accommodate her canned cake frosting and pancake corn syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so good. I HATE holes in the sides of cabinets. People should not adjust their shelves. Then all the symmetry is thrown off to stick the tv or something wrong in there!! And the holes drive me nuts!!!

      Delete
  51. I waited with anticipation for this entry. You did not disappoint! I agree with everything you observed and laughed out loud! Homes should grow with you and be developed over time with things that you love, objects acquired because they are beautiful and you love them and they evoke memories. Every room should always make you feel comforted, tell you that you belong there. No matter how long you have been away, at work, on an errand, a trip, when you return you sigh,,, and say Ah,,, I'm home at last. Love from NYC, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  52. Dear, dear Ellie, I can't tell you (a definitely Southern usage of words!) how much I admire you and agree with your taste. (I'm still hurting because I didn't buy the beautiful gilt mirror of last week.) In a wasteland of comfort and personality in magazine features, I devour your writings and pictures with the most pleasure. I am 74 years old and I'm one of the true GRITS (girls raised in the south, of course). We value enormously inherited furnishings, pictures, and do-dads which remind us of favorite family members or events. Your writings constantly remind me of how blessed I am to have some of these things. But Ellie, please go one step further and help me to stop having a spell (another southern term) when I encounter the f-word. I agree that it does get the point across but how do I stop my scalp from crawling backwards at least an inch? What do I do?.... I have such great admiration for you, on many levels, and my heart breaks for your struggle. My heart, however, sings at your spirit and perseverance. At my age, one has learned many life lessons. You, however, have taught me marvelous lessons and I treasure these writings that are so very much from your heart. If it takes the f-word, then so be it. I pray that our Lord will hold you in the palm of His hand always.

    ReplyDelete
  53. love this: “Chloe Darling, let’s put a giant mirror on the wall of your courtyard that reflects nothing.”
    priceless Ellie, lol, oxox

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a pisser Ellie - you are so right!!
    Cindy F
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  55. Agree. I'm in my 30s and not afraid to admit I read Traditional Home for garden inspiration (I love roses, parterres and mediterranean gardens). So sick of the de-personalised hotel look.

    Regarding Stacey's post above - I live in Australia and I'm seeing the hotel, generic style decor taking over here as well. Why are triangles and fiddle leaf figs everywhere?

    A home should show where you've been, what you read, what your quirks and interests are. That's the type of home I love to visit and see in magazines/online. I love art deco, painting, collecting art glass and interesting dishes; my partner loves films, baking, his hometown (Philadelphia), so you see that in our home because WE LIVE HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Yes! If I hear one more person say ‘pop of colour’ I’m going to puke! Loved this piece so much and it validates me having family photos around too. The closet shots - so much bragging its shameless. Thanks for keeping us laughing and you are amazing and REAL. Tonkath

    ReplyDelete
  57. Loved this post. I still haven't read this AD as it hasn't arrived in my mailbox here in Australia yet… but I'm dreading it. And will be cancelling my subscription. It's been borderline for a few years (I think they pull out one good issue every 6, which distracts me from trying to work out how to call an international toll free number open only during certain hours on the other side of the world to cancel).
    I found the comments on the AD instagram photo of the cover interesting. Lots of comments from designers and people with taste saying they were going to cancel subscriptions, and how disappointing it was (because there is no way those houses would have been featured but for their celebrity owners, the design is hardly inspiring. As for pictures of pantries and closets?!), and a lot of comments from young Kardashian fans telling AD not to worry about all the 'snobs' because the fans were buying multiple copies! The only problem is that they're not going to buy another issue of AD unless it features the Kardashians again. Unfortunately AD seem to be trying to woo a demographic of 'readers' who don't buy print, don't engage with magazines, and are not loyal. In the process they're throwing under a bus the long term loyal readers who obviously aren't as good for advertising revenue.
    But yes, there are some good design magazines elsewhere in the world. I've found the rise of the 'perfect' interior with the hotel like aspirations quite sad. Why people want to live without a past on display is an interesting thing...

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lol, you're not the one to hesitate from calling a spade a spade are you? I would ponder for hours before being as frank and fearless as you are Ellie! There is indeed so much to learn from you...I laughed so much while reading this post..especially the lines where you speak about how you'd rebel ( veranda mag critique) that was hilarious..BY THE WAY how are you managing in Provence , I mean with your health care and juicing and domestic help etc..keep well Ellie.. And keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  59. AMEN!!!

    I have worked in the design industry for over twenty years. I have encountered too many designers who do not design a room based on what the client wants or what is appropriate for the room or client's lifestyle. It is all about getting themselves published. Currently I am lucky enough to work for a designer who does not care about ever being published. She designs for the client, while educating them on appropriate choices. Guess what? She has more business and less headaches than any of the "I want to be published" designers.

    Did you see this in the New York Times?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/realestate/home-staging-new-york.html?smid=pin-share&_r=0
    The Art of Home Staging, Tim McKeough, January 22, 2016
    I blame it on the lack of art education in the schools. And reality television with the exception of Sonja Morgan's townhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  60. You are so right...so disappointing to read these magazines nowadays...why, oh why, has it become like that? Tasteless and uninspiring and most of the time down right ugly... nothing like it was in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thank you, thank you, for putting this up for discussion. I don't buy magazines anymore. The focus on unreal life just became too much. I had to laugh at your description of one room as being hard, hard, hard. Sometimes I look at a room and think 'there isn't a warm spot anywhere in here'. When did 'comfort' become a bad word. When did bibelots and family photos become taboo? Again - thanks for the laugh and the affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Yeah, why would anyone with any money want to live in Calabasas? Like, on purpose?
    Very weird.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hated all of them....the ones in Paris were ok, but I'm not a designer. The best part was your writing, you made me laugh. Thanks for that. The rest should be "ignited"....:)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Celebrity run amok .... the Kardashians, et al! This nobody prefers a home that looks like it's lived in and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  65. And after all that, which, I totally agree with you BTW, all that sticks from all that imagery is my question.

    "Who Photoshopped Khloe's boobs?" And no, I can't be bothered to spell/accent her name correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Ellie - loved this post and agree with you totally on the Kardashian decor - yikes! But I also feel WTF about the Whole Kardashian Shebang and that includes the show. I so appreciate your terrific taste on all things high and low but I'm really at sea as to why you enjoy them so much. Have you done a previous post explaining this? If so, could you let me know the date and, if not, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Nailed it!! The "cookies psychotically arranged in glass jars" would have to be my favourite line. Agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other pet peeve is beach houses that look like over decorated land locked houses. I am 60 and I remember when beach house meant a friend's dads old bachelor pad in Malibu. It was driftwood, rattan and surfboards -- in a good way. Especially the houses in the Hamptons. I look at them and say why bother -- you could just stay home.

      Delete
  68. Amen. Everyone interested in decor should read your comments, namely the publishers and the designers and potential cliets. You are passionate and fearless. xxooxx vj

    ReplyDelete
  69. It could have been worse...Kim and Kanye could have joined them!

    ReplyDelete
  70. YES! I thought it was just me. And the tented living room, I just could not comprehend. The amount of dust alone So Cal. But YES! YES! YES! you are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Preach, girlfriend, preach!!! You have echoed my longstanding thoughts exactly. What's wrong with a house actually looking like a home? You're the best.
    xoxo Susan C.

    ReplyDelete
  72. OMG I love you!!!! I love someone who is not afraid to speak the truth, that is why I come here. Everything you have written is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  73. We all love you; Ellie. You speak the truth! I am so bolstered by the amount of your comments in support of your brave post....you are so right....46 years, now....of decorating....you warm my heart.

    These "hotel rooms" that show up in magazines.....it makes me cry!!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  74. Years ago, my sister-in-law gave me a copy of The Finest Houses in Paris. I have many coffee table books. I treasure this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Sterility of a home reflecting the sterility of the soul...... A perfect analogy! The Kardashisns are tacky... Shame on AD for selling out to popular culture

    ReplyDelete
  76. What I don't get are the full cookie jars. Won't they be stale by the time they are finished or is this the new bowl of waxed fruit look. Also showing the closet stuffed w more clothes and shoes than anyone needs is such a tacky display of wealth it makea me sick. But then they are the same family that allowed kim to show over 100 individually wrapped xmaa gifts from kanye on tv...gross and tacky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great, Marcy.....yes....waxed fruit....stale cookies. Everything in the entire house is for "show"!!

      She doesn't even get how embarrassed she should be in that closet. Oh well.

      Sad. Very sad.

      Delete
  77. My magazine (same issue; came with a different cover!? No Kardashians....just a really ugly room on the cover. Montecito different cover??)

    Yikes!
    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  78. Cabana is worth a look. As is Apartamento. I agree with you on all that other shit.

    ReplyDelete
  79. It is unfortunate, may be we need to fall very low, into "reality, trashy unconscious voyeurism" before we get to see homes and not celebrity homes, with expensive artwork and pieces which happen to be laying in the room without a purpose, like the hermes bag nonchalament posing on the floor or sofa, the field of publishing good work, soulful designers and unknown clients home is past, can it be revived? Thank you for saying out loud what we most felt, I love to see how many anonymous agreeing friends you have :), still hoping to get published may be?

    ReplyDelete
  80. This is AMAZING.... YOU are amazing. I didn't know who you were yesterday and today I do. I love reading your words. Such an inspiration. I read that you are fighting ALS. I am so sorry girl. I can't begin to understand what you are going through but your light shines bright and just know that there is a stranger in Belvedere, California (with kelly wearstler window coverings, not a fruit bowl) that is sending you love and good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Love this so much Elle!Your blog is my gospel! I am behind reading. Hoping you are on the mend. Sounds like you've been through the ringer. Sending hugs and keeping you in my prayers that you get better soon lovely girl. xo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  82. PREACH, you divine creature. You are boundlessly courageous, beautiful, witty, and totally on point (in this post, specifically, but in your other posts as well). Thank you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete