Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Partial Disclosure


Lucian Freud, circa 1946


Disclosure: due to the fact that I have been having crazy panic attacks lately, I have opted to start taking “crazy pills.” Actually, to be honest, my family insisted that I take the crazy pills. I didn’t really have a choice. I am one episode short of a straitjacket. The panic attacks started at the hairdresser one day. I think I looked at myself in the mirror for too long. I hardly ever look at myself in the mirror, but I was forced to at the hairdresser’s and I just freaked out. I freaked out because I could see that I am sick. It was like looking at a different person. I did not know where Ellie went. She is gone. This is not a cute realization when you are in public. So, like any good girl would do, I had a polite little panic attack. It started in the back of my neck. Heat. Then comes the dizziness, followed by a delightful overwhelming sense of doom. I kid you not, I escaped the hairdressers with a half wet, half frizzy, half blonde head of hair onto the posh streets of Paris. I didn’t even care because I just wanted to get out of there. The panic attacks have not stopped since then. Anything can trigger it. I even have a panic attack about taking the panic attack pills. There’s no explaining it. So, anything that I do, write or say that may be deemed inappropriate, is not my fault. Blame the pills. Anything that I do, write or say that may be deemed brilliant, is not my fault, either. Blame the pills.

This week I have been obsessed with lemons. It’s probably due to the heat in Paris and to me, lemons symbolize refreshment. In my garden in Santa Barbara, I had two lemon trees that always seemed to be bearing fruit. We had so many lemons that I had to come up with different ways to utilize them all year around. Whether it be in recipes, flower arrangements, or just bowls of lemons on the coffee table, lemons always made an appearance at my house. I thought I would share some inspiring lemon recipes with you this week.…
 
Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake- Recipe here
  
Georges Braque, circa 1929

 
Lemon Focaccia-Recipe here
 

Euan Uglow Cadmium
 
 
Rosemary Lemon Drop martini-Recipe here


Chaim Soutine, circa 1916
 

Ricotta with Lemon, Basil, and Honey Bruschetta-Recipe here
 
 
Vincent van Gogh, circa 1889
 
Lemon Roasted Fingerling Potatoes-Recipe here

 
Julian Merrow Smith
 
Fish Burger with Matchstick Fries and Lemon Garlic Aioli-Recipe here
 
 
 Quong Ho
 
Lemon Chicken Stew-Recipe here

  
Henri Matisse, circa 1943
 
 

Corn on the Cob with Lemon Basil Pesto-Recipe here
  
Henryk Gotlib, circa 20th century 
 
 
Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken-Recipe here
 
 
Oliver Akers Douglas
 
 
 Lemon Salmon Kebabs-Recipe here
 
 
Julian Merrow Smith
 
 
Meyer Lemon Donut-Recipe here
 
 
Claude Monet, circa 1883


One of my most favorite cookbooks incorporating lemons is Lemons: A Country Garden Cookbook. I bought it in 1993, and it is still totally relevant today. You can purchase it Here.



A Tout!  

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Thank you for these. Especially the fingerling potatoes one. :)

    ...Were you intentionally "turning lemons into lemonade" with this post? Very clever those pills are. ;) ������

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have on my agenda to make lemon chicken soup with orzo. I can't wait! Thank you Ellie! I detest looking in the mirror. I am with you sister...and love you with all my heart. Miss you miss you love you love you love forever...............xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is kind of embarrassing when people visit us in Santa Barbara.....and there are always lemons on the trees....even in the pots.

    Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another stunning post...merci...I love the juxtaposition of the art and recipes I was wondering if you were going to post any Julian Merrow Smiths)...and...try not to think too much about the crazy pills. I have been on two kinds for over ten years and honestly? That is fine by me. Seriously better than the alternative. And anyway, just going to a French hairdresser alone would be enough to put anyone on them!! I have never, ever had a French hairdresser cut my hair in the way that I have asked them to - they always just nod their head and then do what they want. Once, at a ferschmance salon across from le Bon Marché, I totally splurged as I had read a good review. Little did I know (in the beginning) that I was given a "trainee"...and not only that but one who kept disappearing in the back and then would come out sniffling if you get my drift! Well, like you, I do not like looking in the mirror but I could feel him cutting more and more agressively, like chopping at my head and it when I did look up I screamed and even that didn't get him to stop! >:( Ellie, it took three YEARS for my hair to grow back out right - I have the photos to prove it and will happily email them to you whenever you need a laugh. I burst out crying as soon as I left and called Remi, my Honey, who was so mad that he wanted to come and beat the guy up! I declined...but I really, really should have said yes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I don't know why I told you that silly story about my hair when I knew that you were talking about something else entirely. But I did. Trying to make you smile I guess. Bisous.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me. Thank you so much. partial disclosure

    ReplyDelete