Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

animaux naturalisés


 
Taxidermy.
Let me make something clear. I do not condone hunting for sport or any sort of animal cruelty just so I can have a pretty peacock on my mantle. I do however support ethical taxidermy. If an animal dies naturally, I see no problem in having it stuffed and put in my living room. In fact, after I die, I see no problem of myself being stuffed and put back in my own living room. I am so opposed to hunting that I think the hunters should be shot themselves. I liken hunters to child abusers. Wow! This is turning out to be a happy blog.

 But this is a happy blog today, it is! I think taxidermy is actually animal appreciation. If you don’t believe me, let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time…

There is a shop in Paris called Deyrolle. It has been in the same building on the left bank of Paris since 1881 on one of my favorite streets, rue du Bac. Before that, the shop was on rue de la Monnaie in 1831. The owner, Émile Deyrolle was a French naturalist whose shop specialized in natural history publications and specimens, minerals, rocks, fossils, botanical specimens, shells, microscopic specimens and yes, taxidermy. The business was originally owned by his naturalist grandfather, Jean-Baptiste Deyrolle.





 


 


Deyrolle is an institution. Beloved. Revered. Respected. Cherished. This is a mythical taxidermy shop for animal lovers, quite the opposite of “hunters.” This intriguing shop has held dear memories for its clientele for generations in the past and for generations to come. But all of that was nearly lost one fateful evening in February of 2008 when the shop caught fire. To all of Paris, it was as if the Louvre had caught fire. 90% of the shop was destroyed. The animals had suffered a second death.

 But, as in life there is beauty, so there is also in death. What became of this awful catastrophe was something beautiful. A photographer, by the name of Laurent Bochet, was granted permission to photograph the ruins. His book, titled, 1000°C, is one of my favorite books in the whole wide world. It is currently sold out on the Assouline Publishing website (Probably thanks to me. You’re welcome) but it is still available through Amazon HERE. It is a remarkable book capturing the soul of Deyrolle that makes your heart swoon and hopefully opens one’s eyes to the beauty of taxidermy. With the help of fellow Deyrolle lovers from interior designers, museums, luxury brands (Hermès created a scarf in honor of Deyrolle named Plumes to raise funds), loyal customers, well-wishers to European royalty, the shop has been completely restored and the magic continues The end.









 
That’s my story. So let’s all just take a deep breath and relax about taxidermy. Ethical taxidermy, that is, so don’t get your knickers in a twist. Years ago, I had a beautiful taxidermy white peacock at my antique shop. I named her Ursula. Every day when I would open the shop, I would walk in the store and say, “Bonjour, Ursula.” She was a regal bird that reigned over our shop and my heart. I wish I had never sold her because I think she would be very happy here with me in Paris. If you want to, let’s take a look at some interior design with taxidermy. If you don’t want to, don’t, it’s a free world.


 photo by Wendy Jenson
 






 
If you want to see more beautiful taxidermy, check out my Have Some Decorum Decorating with Taxidermy board HERE.

On a little side note, check out this video of an exhibit in Paris with artist Billie Achilleos in collaboration with Louis Vuitton and Deyrolle HERE.

 A toute!
*Something you don’t know about me? I approved of Gracie ditching three days of college this week so she could work as an intern for a fashion stylist on a shoot for Italian Vogue. Why? Because I’m cool like that. :-)

14 comments:

  1. Lucky our girls have such cool moms!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh. Have been liking your blog a lot, but not this post. Not at all. Taxidermy is atrocious. And the sheer number of photos posted is.... Shaking my head at the disrespect to the beings that inhabited these physical bodies. Don't know if I'll be back, but wish you the best in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tree, to each their own but I think you are missing the point. Taxidermy, ethical taxidermy, is not disrespectful. Quite the opposite. But, like I said, to each their own. Good luck on your endeavors as well. XO XO Ellie

      Delete
  3. OH my,just yesterday as I was cruising your site I meant to ask you about the white peacock!!Here you are telling us about URSULA!I feel the SAME way about it as you do......thank you for putting it into words for me because I do not think I could have conveyed my feelings as well as you did!I too have TAXIDERMY.............I feel as if I have saved them somehow!I sent you an email a few days ago.......did you receive?XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! I have not visited the store previously but I would love to see it. Thanks again for keeping us informed and entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read about Deyrolle various places in the past. I enjoyed the pictures you posted - I especially enjoy the contrast of these animals in the beautiful buildings. Isn't the internet wonderful? It's like free travel! Thanks Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite spots when in Paris. I always want to give them a touch of whimsy, a brooch, a beret, or some sort of accessory to make them look dressed. Taxidermy is an art but I think I might prefer a macabre Tom Walton painting.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say my gardening apron came from THERE!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we were getting along so well;)….! I must confess that I am a hunter (cross-bow) and have skinned and butcher deer. I would much rather take an animal from its environment rather than the inhumane ways most animals are raised, including laying hens. Aside from hunting turkey and deer, we buy all of our meet from a local farmer that raises heritage breeds, allowed to grown "the old fashioned way". Probably not surprising I like taxidermy, although not exotics. You always provide food for fodder, and this is a great post with luscious pictures. xob

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps. I especially like it when I spell meat, like "meet". I am just a hick, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ellie, while you give a nice history on Deyrolle, and I suspect entering such a place is like a drub, taxidermy for me is yuck. To me, it's like wearing fur -- I just can't appreciate it. Wearing fur is worst, I admit. Hope I don't offend anyone. I wore fur once, too -- when I was 16 yrs old and until someone threw a firecracker at me and woke me up.

    Funny -- the day you posted this, I had just completed a "Joan and Melissa" or "Joan knows best" or whatever it's called, marathon. I adore Joan's humour, but she wears fur: yuck. There's a great scene where she visits a taxidermy shoppe after her beloved dog dies, because she's considering having him "stuffed" (her word, not mine!). Joan's comments in the shoppe are classic Joan... (btw, it's on youtube).
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle. I don't wear fur either. I even honestly have a hard time eating meat. I like chicken but the whole concept of the fact that it's an animal grosses me out. I will check out that episode on youtube. By the way, I cannot believe someone through a firecracker on you!

      Delete
  11. When I was in my Goth phase (ahem) I had an amazing hat from the beginning of the 20th century with the most beautiful black bird on it and an appropriately swooping veil. When I wore it, people looked at me as if I were INSANE. It takes courage to wear taxidermy.
    PS. Deyrolle is always on my list that I give for visitors to Paris...

    ReplyDelete