Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Holy Hermès!


 

Saturday was a glorious day in Paris. Not only was it a beautiful fall day but it was also the weekend of the vintage Hermès exhibit in Paris. And boy, it did not disappoint. Luckily the exhibit was across the street from my apartment at the Hotel du Louvre so we did not have to travel far. Let me just state for the record that walking through the Palais Royal garden on a brisk autumn morning in Paris to get to a Hermès exhibit with my handsome husband doesn’t suck. I recognize that I am fortunate that this is how I am able to spend a Saturday.

The second I stepped into the exhibit, my heart started beating with excitement. Vintage Hermès everything… Travel luggage, toiletry kits, bags, scarves, accessories, clothing… Everything one’s greedy little heart could imagine. The ladies of the 16th arrondissement came out of the woodwork for this event. It was truly a sight to see. I love a hoity-toity old-school Parisian. They are usually impenetrable but I think because they recognize my plight, somehow their guard is down and they always give me a sweet knowing look. Real Housewives these ladies were not. Demure, subtle, impeccably dressed, perfect lipstick, chic hairdos, sunglasses with husbands, little dogs and euros in tow. Every single woman looked like Catherine Deneuve (current age) and these women were there to shop. There was not a single tourist in sight. There were no bimbos in Hervé Léger bandage dresses asking, “Do you have any new pink Birkins because all of these bags just look so oooooold.”

What surprised me most about the exhibit was the rarity of the items. There was a circa 1969 St. Tropez bag, manufactured for only one year, only 10 in existence. And the colors! Shamrock green suede gloves. Navy blue leather bags. Ox blood red leather travel bags. Sapphire blue crocodile bracelets. And my favorite, a 1958 pearl gray/blue Kelly bag. Unusual bags like the canvas hand-painted sailboat travel bag from a private collection. The collection of vintage scarves was cray cray… Pink and green cashmere, navy blue silks and one very very special scarf with a mink border. Take a look…

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


These pieces were for the true connoisseurs, collectors and lovers of everything Hermès… But in a good way.

*I have to give a special thank you to my husband. For the past 10 years, he has taken me to every exhibit, museum, Château, garden, fleamarket and antique show that my little heart desires. He will wake up at 5 AM, drive 100 miles and grab the lattes to ensure that my happiness is paramount. It was easy in the beginning without ALS. We could just wake up, pop into the car and do as we please. Now, with my ALS, it’s a bit more complicated. Caregivers, wheelchairs, breathing machines, my attitude… It’s not always easy but he still does it because he knows it makes me happy. ALS is a very complicated disease both emotionally and physically. Even friends and family don’t understand what David and I go through on a daily basis. It is a challenge and the ultimate test of a relationship. It’s not always pretty but sometimes it’s beautiful. Je t’aime, Saint David.

31 comments:

  1. Yes, Je t’aime, Saint David -- we all love you. (And Hermès, naturally.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know he is a SAINT even without having the PLEASURE of meeting HIM.YOU FOUND GOLD when YOU found him in your daughter's PARKING LOT at school!YOU TWO have found TRUE LOVE........through thick and thin.YOU found a KEEPER!
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ellie, I would have been in heaven, how glorious!!
    I am so happy that you have David, a partner who gets you and makes what you are going through every day easier in so many ways.....

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Artist Lesley Schiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I quote you? "It's not always pretty but sometimes it's beautiful" - Love that!
    My pick is the 1962 brooch, Oiseaux...can't quite make out the words. To date, I have one Hermes scarf, "Les Bois de Boulogne" (to commemorate a great dinner at Le Pre Catelan), but you've revived my interest. Next on my list? Le bal des oiseauxis, Les oiseaux des champs et des bois, OR the rare "Gastronomie".

    So happy you got to see this great exhibit before leaving Paris. Have a safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's also our primary blog photographer, right? I love him, too. Especially since he's embracing the move to Provence. Or at least accepting it. Or at least doing it. Good luck this weekend! I turn into a four year old at all exhibits/shows/museums. So the exhibit isn't my thing, but I'm sure the people watching was. I wish in all the books obsessing over French woman style they would focus more on "unimpressed, cold French bitch". I figure if they were so imposing you wouldn't even dare take a photo, it must have been good. I do love that little brooch though. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely thing to write about your husband. You make a wonderful team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David is such a good man I think we all love him, he has a fan club does he know?
    Ellie once again you've taken us to the best place in Paris, thank you it's amazing. Love the scarf with the mink trim. XOX
    Safe journey to you all as you make your way to Provence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Ellie, love is a beautiful thing. And I love that vintage red bag with the little lock on the front.
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pieces. How lucky are you to live across the street from the exhibit!? Easy access. Your love for each other is so impressive. Perfect match, you and David! And to think your next accomplishment is moving to your new home. I can imagine all the fun you will have decorating this new home. Wishing you every happiness in your new home! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. Your tribute to David makes my life richer. Thank you for sharing your love and passion. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merci Ellie, for taking us on your outing with you. I loved all the pictures and descriptions. Most of all it is your last sentence I loved the most, it caught my heart and caused me a tear💞

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless David. God bless you. Thank you for sharing your experience at the vintage Hermes exhibit. Surely I will never experience it firsthand. Looking forward to the details of your new home in Provence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! Love the 1958 bag as well, the year I was born! Love your description of the ladies, pure class. Wishing you both many more adventures, lattes and all your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As is said, in sickness and in health. We always hope that the in sickness part doesn't happen and when it does, authentic love blooms. You are blessed and so is he. Thank you for sharing the Hermes with us-how delicious!! Most of all, thank you for sharing YOU!! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. MY heart is palpatating just looking at the photos! It looks like it was fabulous...just like you and your David!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful post - as in YOU and your brilliant and utterly inimitable style. The bags were great but you're the real treat. And, as someone mentioned elsewhere, we all adore David.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your line, "It's not always pretty but sometimes it's beautiful." is one of the loveliest lines about real love that I have ever read. It just confirms what a fine and astute woman/writer you are...this is why your followers can not do without you.
    Bon courage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I am swooning...such wonderful snapshots of luxury goods...and not a Real Housewife in sight! I LOVE that!
    Looking forward to seeing your posts from your new home in Provence.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous exhibit - and a fitting farewell to Paris. Hoping your move this weekend is as smooth as Hermes silk, and that you and David will enjoy your new home and adventure. You both have my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG what an exhibition! Thank you for sharing dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your David. Now please dish the dirt on these women and their lives. Please tell us more about them. They sound like fascinating creatures. Thank you for taking us to the exhibition. Wish it came to L. A.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Hermes too but I want to gripe about those bandage dresses. I only see women with the biggest boobs wearing
    them and every other step they take they have to pull the top up. I think they're awful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Incredible collection and pictures! Thank you for sharing! Am sending good thoughts to you, David and your caregivers for a safe, swift journey to Provence tomorrow! Hugs, Shireen

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh I would love to see this! Of course the Hermes items look amazing, but I want to watch the PEOPLE! I love women of a certain age when they are dressed impeccably and are comfortable in their skin. (not the tacky popular Kardashians and the like...but the old world classy dames! They remind me of my grandmother and her sisters) There is such a power there, I don't really know how to explain it.

    And your David...what a love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a very special man, don't you? Enjoy every single moment !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Omg what beautiful pieces. .truly works of art...the sailboat bag my fav, I guess because I live at the sea...one can almost smell the salt air just by looking at it..:) thank you dear David for taking such care of our Ellie..xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a treasure your husband is, a great blessing! The exhibit...my heart fluttered...how wonderful to see those lovely things down through their history. Thanks for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Friend, I hope your move to province is going well! Can´t wait to see pictures of your new house. I wish you tons of happy days in your new house. Big hugs your friend from Honduras!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice bags but we need more pictures of your handsome husband, please.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooooh, oooh!!! What is a vintage Hermes? I mean what year is the youngest a piece can be and still qualify for "vintage" status? I had an exquisite navy belly lizard bag made in 1984. It should have been flounced around a little more, but, mercy, that means it still looks new!!

    Your David is an angel. We are all most envious of that incredible fellow, Ellie. Enjoy Prov

    ReplyDelete