Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Louvre and the Loud Family



Lobby of George V Hotel Paris
Sunday, July 2009 Paris. It was a perfect day. It was one of those days that reminded me why I wanted to live in Paris in the first place. Woke up early, took my daughter to the American Church, said our prayers, and headed to the George V Hotel for tea. So far, so good...then the Loud Family arrived. As awful as they were it did not ruin my day. I actually enjoy watching people act like morons. It was interesting. Here is what happened. The George V Hotel is a very lovely hotel in Paris where you need to exercise your best manners and have some decorum for god's sake. So, my daughter and I are practicing our "ladylikeness" and in walks the most obnoxious family EVER! They made Americans look good. :) The family's entourage consisted of a mother, a personal travelling make up artist, two assistants, 2 chubby brat children, and 9 nannies/slaves in full suffocating black veils. The kids were rolling around the gorgeous carpet in the tea salon screaming and stuffing themselves with chocolate cakes, macaroons, eclairs, ice cream, flan, profiteroles, whipping cream everything. Total gluttony. The mother was just admiring the little dolls with a big smile on her face. The age 3 and 5 year old children were dressed in head to toe Louis Vuitton including purses. The entire room was just watching the show in horror. As we were leaving, just as I was thinking about how perfectly I have raised my daughter with good manners and good morals, very proud of my child rearing efforts, my daughter looks at me and says, "I want to live with them." So, on to the Louvre for some culture.



My daughter and I like to visit the Louvre more often but for less time. That way we are not overwhelmed in a single day. On this particular day, we came upon an exhibit called, 'Le Louvre pendant la Guerre.' The Louvre during the war. Facinating! The exhibit details the historical events that took place at the museum during the Second World War through a series of little seen photographs taken during the time. Due to the threat of war, museum officials had to protect the fate of its treasures. "The Mona Lisa left the Louvre on August 28, 1939 and on September 3, as war was declared, a decision was made that all the most treasured work would leave the Louvre by the end of the day."




Tanks at the Louvre

Ascent of La Victoire de Samothrace
Pierre Jahan (June 21, 1945)
Wow. How many lives has this statue had? From her birth to now. She holds up well amidst all of her travels.


La Venus de Milo
Laure Albin-Guillot (Sept 1939)
The precious antiquities were hastily removed from their pedestals with ropes and man power and carted away to chateaux in the french countryside safe from the danger of bombing.



Rembrandt Abandonné ( 1942?)

This is my favorite photo. So eery. If you look closely inside the frames it says "Rembrandt." Like, "Rembrandt was here."


Conversation entre antiques
Laure Albin- Guillot
These statues look like seniors waiting for the bus.
For more info:...go to the Louvre
To buy the exhibition book (only in French) go to:
http://www.boutiquesdemusees.fr


No comments:

Post a Comment